Corpus for the seq2seq bot

I stumbled on the seq2seq_bot project, was wondering how the corpus (I mean the Q1.csv and Q2.csv) was created?

Hi @bachir the corpus was handwritten with some basic characteristics in mind like answering in a mean, grumpy, sarcastic way whenever possible. Does that answer your question?

thanks @asir, can you be more specific? if I want to build a similar bot how could I proceed?
I would appreciate if you can provide practical hints :slight_smile:

Hi thanks for your interest! This was a manually built corpus in an experimental setup, a proper methodology has yet to be developed. This is a very new field of research (personality based/social/affective chatbots) in NLU/NLG so there are not a lot of resources available, but I will keep you updated.

Thanks for the reply @MLT , if you did (or you will) write a research paper on this I would love to read it.

In general (not limited to seq2seq_bot), dialogue corpus curation can be done as follows:

1. Decide the purpose
    • chit-chat: collect free-form conversations by crowd-sourcing, with or without topics
    • task-oriented: collect formulaic question-answering dialogs by crowd-sourcing
  2. Design annotations
    • speech acts: more theoretical and general
      • e.g. types of human communication
        • optional: whether a dialogue has been broken (changed, deviated, non-sense, etc.)
    • dialog acts: more practical and specific
    • e.g. just annotate question-related terms and types
  3. Annotate
    • by trained annotators
    • by crowd

FYI: There are few dialogue corpi available for English, here

Hey Mike do you have any references by any chance for the points you mentioned? (academic papers)

Sure, will do it later tonight.
Sorry for the late reply.

For starters, many works of task-oriented dialogue systems are done by http://dialogue.mi.eng.cam.ac.uk/

Before further elaborate my points, please kindly note that they are merely how I categorize related research fields. Some better summaries may be out there in the literature. An umbrella term is “conversational agent.” See https://web.stanford.edu/class/cs124/lec/chatbot.pdf by Prof. Jurafsky to get general ideas. My first step is based on the widely adopted classification:

1. Decide the purpose
    • chit-chat: collect free-form conversations by crowd-sourcing, with or without topics
    • task-oriented: collect formulaic question-answering dialogs by crowd-sourcing

Specifically, most of people use “Wizard-of-Oz” approach to collect dialogs. Some apply bootstrapping, too.

See

for examples. Please note that the above papers are not the origins of the dialog collection methods. I list them because they might be easier for readers to get the ideas, in my opinion.